Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Championing a just cause (or something like that)


Back in high school, a gifted fellow student, Ian Healy, wrote a hysterical little play called The Maniac Upstairs.  I was fortunate to be cast in that show and some of my best high school memories are of the antics and fun that went into making that show a reality.  So, I was not terribly surprised, when Ian came back on my radar 20 years later, to learn that he is now a novelist.  (and all of you cruise fans can hold your horses, I will be back with Oasis stateroom photos tomorrow, alright?!).

For now, back to Ian and his novels.  Ian has several novels out, in a genre that, well, I don't even think there are many novels written in.  Comic books yes, but full on novels, well not many that I have heard of anyway.  He writes Super Hero fiction (Ian, please forgive me if I have the name wrong!).

Ian has created a whole universe of Super Heroes and Villains called the Just Cause Universe.  Generally, people with super powers are not my thing.  I never read comics, have only seen some of the movies (mostly because my kids love them) and only know random things like most people are big fans of either Marvel or DC but few are really big fans of both (sort of like Star Trek and Star Wars, I guess) because my kids throw these tidbits into conversations often enough that they stick.

So last year, when I squeezed some space into my ever jam packed reading schedule to try out what was, at the time, Ian's latest novel, truth be told I really did not expect to like it much.  I was so pleasantly surprised to be drawn in and enjoy a good read in a very different genre for me.

Here is the review I wrote at the time for Deep Six (the fourth Just Cause book but they all stand alone and do not need to be read in order):


http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Just-Cause-Universe-Book-ebook/product-reviews/B00GYBPZZY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_pop_hist_4?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addFourStar&showViewpoints=0

You've probably guessed by now that Ian has a new novel about to come out, which is why I am doing a little write up for him here--besides, apparently Germany is his biggest international sales base, so that is a fun little tie in for me.

So, if Super Heroes are your thing, or if you are just looking for a fun read and want to try something different, might I suggest giving Champion, or one of Ian's other  Just Cause books a try? I have found his books to be reasonably priced (I think all are under $5 and he often runs one or more for a mere .99).

Ian has even kindly offered to give away a free advance copy (oh, that would feel so VIP-ish, to have an advance copy, wouldn't it?  Or maybe that is just me lol) to one of my readers who comments and shares their post.  So make a comment by Sunday 5 Oct and on Monday the 6th a random name will be chosen to receive a free digital download of the book to be sent same day.  Free books--it is hard to beat that.

 Champion is available for preorder starting today (with a release date of November 25) and links to all the places you can buy it (and his other books) are here:

http://localheropress.ianthealy.com 

In the meantime, apparently books have trailers these days (I learn something new every day) and here is Champion's:

http://youtu.be/PaYM-OWJakE

Back to cruise ships tomorrow, I promise!
--Hadley




No comments:

Post a Comment