Thursday, October 30, 2014

A visit to New Hampshire in the fall

The last place we lived in the US was New Hampshire, up in the Lakes Region, to be a bit more precise.  I've been fortunate to live in some really beautiful places, places like the dramatic mountains of Colorado and the mystic swampiness of Caddo Lake in Texas, but it is New Hampshire takes the prize as my very favourite.

Unlike the dramatic beauty of the Rockies, where I spent most of my childhood, the beauty of the Lakes Region is comfortable, calming, homey.  The drama comes in only in fall, when the legendary New England Fall Foliage hits you and for a couple of weeks a year, it is all you can do not to wreck the car as you drive past such loveliness.  Autumn is gorgeous in many places, the golden Aspen in Colorado are nice; the reds, yellows and oranges of huge trees in Michigan, Texas and Heidelberg are all lovely, but none of those places compare.

So, when David ended up with a rare business trip stateside, right back to our old home, and in the fall, I jumped at some low airfare and was thrilled to tag along.  How could I turn down the chance to visit old friends, see those lovely trees, get a jump on holiday shopping, and eat at all my favourite places?

We arrived about a week after "peak" but it was still pretty darn gorgeous on that first day (photos do not do it justice).  I had forgotten just how pretty it can be:



We headed straight up the little town of Meredith, right on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee because it is one of my very favourite places, such a sweet little town, with lovely views of the lake, great homey hotels (The Inn at Mills Falls and Church Landing), cute independent shops  and one of my favourite restaurants ever (by the way, I highly recommend the area for family or couples vacations in summer or fall--lots to do and just pretty all the time).  

We had rain on and off all afternoon,so we sheltered in some of the hotel bars that overlook the lake, but we still got out in between storms and just oohed and aahed over all the beauty.  
(a view out the window from the Inn at Mills Falls, the first place I ever slept at in New Hampshire and still one of my favourites.  I can enjoy hours just sipping tea and playing checkers or working on the jigsaw puzzle in the lobby alone).





We had dinner at Camp, which was the one "must do" I had for the trip.  Camp is one of several restaurants in town owned by the local, New Hampshire chain "Common Man."  It's a one of a kind place It's very small and all decorated to have the vibe of a classic New England summer camp (maybe this is a good place to mention that I loved summer camp as a kid, so the nostalgia factor is high for me in this place).    Unlike a real summer camp, the food here is excellent.  They had a brand new menu and one of my favourites was gone, but lots remained and I filled up on appetizers and their s'mores dessert, as usual.  (I really should have taken a photo of that, but just trust me it is worth saving room for, mmmmmmm).
http://www.thecman.com/restaurants-and-menus/camp.aspx

The rest of the week it poured rain (and I do mean poured), so those first photos are all I have to share--but I had a great week anyway.  It was so wonderful to see our friends again.  And we got to see a show in the community theatre we used to work with.  I really enjoyed shopping for some holiday gifts for the kids--there are still things that are easier to find on the US,

and I got to enjoy some of those American things I find that I still really miss like:

fresh brewed iced tea

all you can drink tea, coke and water (ICED water) in restaurants

Mexican food (I think about half of my meals were Mexican food--I do miss it, and I cannot even get the ingredients to make it all at home here in Germany)

American style beds with box springs and spring mattresses (though I prefer European style bedding with just one fitted bottom sheet and a duvet in a removable cover, no top sheet or other blankets.  How is that for a mish mashed preference?!)

Ice machines in hotels (are you seeing a trend about ice?  lol)

Target (I swear every expat I know heads straight for Target when back on US soil--we all miss Target)

Political ads (joking, joking, those were near constant, all negative and so annoying--I bet everyone in the US will be relieved when those stop after Tuesday's elections)

All in all a great week.  It kept me too busy to even get a blog post up.

--Hadley





No comments:

Post a Comment