Saturday, February 2, 2013

Our Spanish Christmas Adventure Part III--Sacred Heart Church

Hi All,

Rereading today I see that I am still in full "detailed" trip report mode and was awfully long winded yesterday.    I promise it will calm down--I don't even have that kind of detail to offer for most days or adventures :)

I hope, should you ever have the chance to visit, that my droning on will not deter you from a trip up to Tibidabo with its old fashioned charm and local feel as well as the best views to be had in Barcelona.  Even if you do not want to pay the entrance fee and ride a lot, the upper/older portion is well worth a visit.  Besides, if you make it that far you get to visit the Sagrat Cor (Church of the Sacred Heart).

You already saw a photo of it in daytime--by night it is even more spectacular:










After oohing and aahing a bit from the outside, we headed into the main sanctuary.  The church is VERY tall but not terribly big otherwise and it is one of the smaller interiors.  It is lovely though, and unique among those churches we have visited in Europe, in that not only is the art itself awe inspiring, but the subjects are gentle and beautiful, rather than the often grotesque depictions of a bleeding Jesus, etc that adorn the majority of cathedrals we have seen.  Here is one shot I managed to get with my little point and shoot camera (that's not a painting up top--it is a mosaic, and it was truly lovely).








After we'd had our fill inside, we walked into the side room of the church where we were able to purchase tickets to visit the top.  They were reasonably priced at 3 Euro each.  We were taken, by elevator, about 2/3 of the way up and let out on a balcony which encircled the entire level.  As you can imagine, Barcelona by night from that viewpoint is an incredible sight.  My camera does not begin to do it justice.



From that level we were able to climb a stone spiral stairway to an even more dizzying height:



The vertigo kicked in for me; I really WAS dizzy, so I stayed on the wide terrace at the top of those stairs and took some detail photos while Dave and the kids climbed further, all the way to Christ's feet.  Enjoy the details (here and in life!) and I'll check back in with you tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment