Monday, May 6, 2013

Grocery Shopping German Style!

Germans are known for their love of cars, but in reality they seem to love their bikes even more.  I don't know a German who does not own a bike and ride it fairly regularly, even our elderly landlady who walks with a cane rides her bike all over town.

When we first got here, we bought me a relatively inexpensive and low quality bike.  It was great for two years, but by the middle of last summer I found myself waiting until the weekend (when I had use of our one car) to shop for anything heavier than what I wanted to carry myself on foot.  It was a pain in the backside, and I really missed my bike, both for utilitarian reasons and for fun jaunts around town.  So, last weekend I got a new bike! Today was the first shopping trip I have taken since.

Since the kitchens here tend to be small, and produce is enjoyed FRESH, most Germans tend to shop 2-3 times a week (or more), so you can easily fit that amount into the saddle bags of a bike.  And, really it is so much more fun and even convenient (at least in nice weather) to ride to the store instead of driving.

Today my friend Safaa and I wanted to go to the "big" store (probably the size of a typical grocery store in the US) and the weather was nice, so we biked a bit further than to our local market and rode almost 9 km each way to REAL Markt.

I thought that if you live where this is not the norm you might enjoy a couple of photos of a bike turned grocery shopping vehicle (and my "saddle bags" in the cart so that I could be sure not to buy more than I could carry--a very common practice).  Besides, it gives me a chance to show off my new bike!

Ready to head out with empty bags.

Full bags in the cart before check out.  You can fit an astonishing large amount of items in them.

I hope you can find a way to have as much fun, and get as much exercise, shopping this week as I did!

--Hadley


No comments:

Post a Comment