Monday, October 7, 2013

Starnberger See and two nice hotels

Last month, I had the pleasure of tagging along on a trip to the famed playground of Munich's elites, Lake Starnberg.

We arrived in the early evening, on a lovely and unseasonably warm and sunny day, at La Villa, a high end hotel right on the shore.  It is the kind of place whose grounds just take your breath away.  Gorgeous!







After settling in for a bit, we headed into town for dinner at a local pizzeria which got good reviews on Trip Advisor.  I fully agree with the reviews and recomend you give StaSerra Pizza a try if you are ever in the area.  It is easy to find , right on the main drag, the pizza, salad, wine and tiaramisu were all delicious and reasonably priced.

The next morning I headed back into town.  Sadly, there are no sidewalks on the narrow, winding stretch of road near the hotel, so one is forced to drive to town and find and pay for parking.  I would have much preferred a more relaxing stroll on foot, being only a couple of kilometers away and having nice, warm weather.  Oh well.  Anyway, I wandered around town for an hour or so, and there lots of pretty little buildings and nice trees.  Here are a few photos:






For some reason, that I truly cannot put my finger on, the town just does not grab me.  It was pretty, no doubt.  Well kept up, etc.  and yet it seems utterly lacking in any charm or personality.  I don't know why.  Clearly, plenty of other people really like it.  Truthfully, I felt a little guilty for not loving it, and kept looking for that feeling around every corner, but it never came.

The hotel, on the other hand, boy was that a perfect spot to just relax with a book.  The only problem was that it was a very small space really, and you could not really go off for a walk, etc.  Eeither side of the property was lined with fences, and the road was not safe for foot traffic , so it was an idyllic spot, but only a very small one.

The next day, after a liesurely morning and a light lunch, we headed out to Munich's Oktoberfest, which deserves a post all of its own, so look for that elsewhere on this blog.

La villa was fully booked that night, so after the fest we headed to another nearby hotel, Kaiserin Elizabeth.  The hotel used to be the summer estate of Austrian empresses Elizabeth.  We had been told it was not as nice, and admittedly the room was less modern, but it was also lovely and I liked its breakfast offerings and dining area much more.   There was also a lot of land at this hotel. It appears to have many walking paths, and even it's own golf course.  Too bad we were only there from late one night until early the next morning, and the weather had changed to lots of rain.  I would have loved to have explored on foot.





In short, I can recomend both hotels, as well as a pizza place, but the local  area did not grab me.  Perhaps it will grab you, or perhaps I was just not in the correct mood.  In any case, I would love to stay at the Elizabeth again when I would have time to explore the grounds.

--Hadley




No comments:

Post a Comment