Tuesday, November 26, 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Possibly my favourite "season" in Germany is "Weihnachtsmarkt Season"  when all of the Christmas Markets are up and in full swing.  I dearly love wandering the markest in carious cities and small towns (or, in the case of my favourite one, in a little gully in the forest), smelling the almonds roasting, sipping gluhwein (mulled wine), munching on any of a dozen delectable treats, and "window shopping" at all the festively decorated carts.  Every market has its own feel, and I have yet to meet one I do not like.

The earliest, and longest running markets opened this past weekend (Heidelberg included), though the majority will open this coming weekend (some, like Mannheim, open mid week this week to get everything running smoothly before the Friday evening rush).  Knowing that we will likely leave for our holiday vacation on the 20th, this gives me three weekends (and a couple of mi week trips) to soak in my fill of markets, and YES, I do make a plan of attack!  I like to be sure I get in all of my favourites, and add one or two new ones to experience each year.

This year I intend to make midweek trips to both Heidelberg and Mannheim.  Heidelberg's market is almost like several little ones spread out throughout the downtown area.  I love how simply running an errand in town puts me right in the middle of it all this time of year.  Mannheim has a surprisingly nice market that skirts the water tower.  The other repeat this year is in the Black Forest and I insisted on dragging everyone there on the weekend nearest my birthday every year (this year ON my birthday).  It is small, nearly everythign is hand made, there are camp fires and up to now there has always been a nice coating of snow to really bring in the winter feel.

New this year, yet close to home--I have never been to the 12 day long smaller Heidelberg market in the castle courtyard.  We will be visiting that one this year for sure.  I have also never gone just down the road to Schwetzingen's market--we have plans to do so with friends this year (because meeting up with friends to go to a market and have a drink is the thing to do in Germany in December).  I am also hoping to see the market in Mainz when we head to that city for a business dinner.

I am sure I will take several photos of each and every market and I hope I can convey some of the charm, and the uniqueness of each for you, my readers.

Until then, we have the decor up and ready in the house.



--Hadley

No comments:

Post a Comment