Wednesday, March 27, 2013

It's All Dutch to Me

Short post today. . .

So, last week at Dave's conference there was a magic show in the evening (no, this is not typical in Germany--it was a completely random and unusual occurrence .  I ended up being pulled on stage for a rather long time.

The next day, a few people asked Dave about his wife from The Netherlands.  Apparently I speak German with a Dutch accent!  At least, a few people that night thought so.

Today the kids and I went shopping (Rio had pretty much outgrown every stitch of clothing he owned).  One of the shop keepers asked if we were from South Africa!?!  When we told her we were from the US she said she couldn't believe it, that we didn't sound at all American.

I am not really quite sure what to make of all this.  I think I am going to take it as a compliment though.  Dutch is actually pretty close to German, so I figure that if I can sound Dutch my accent must be getting close to correct.  I am pretty sure Afrikaans also evolved from Dutch--so there may be a similar sound there in accents?

Anyway, just a little interesting tidbit from today to share.  Sorry for the lack of any interesting photos :)

Happy Wednesday,
--Hadley

No comments:

Post a Comment