Tuesday, March 12, 2013

McDonalds

Yes, McDonalds.  You are all familiar with it.  That American icon which seems to have found a toe hold the world over.

I'd love to say that I never set foot in one.  That there is no ultra processed, chemical filled, "food" there that I allow to enter my body.  But, yeah, this is so not the case.  is it for much of anyone?

While I do not care for their regular foods, I do love that about a quarter of the McDs here have drink and ice dispensers for customers use.  Yes, I know all the Americans take it for granted now that you can fill your own drink at a fast food joint (and refill it too).  Not so in Europe.  For an ice lover like myself, it is a thrill to be ale to put as much of the cold, hard treat in my glass as I want before top[ping it off with a bit of bubbly beverage.  And to get a refill?  Pure bliss!  So, yes, I do seek out the McD's which I know have this lovely treat.  Their fried pies (yes, they are still fried here--no pretending that fast food is not terrifically bad for you) and sundaes are pretty good too when there is a sweet tooth to be satisfied.  And Rio, in typical teen boy fashion, does covet those McNuggets and McMuffins.

So, other than being the one place in Germany that you might be able to have all the ice and soda that you want, what makes McD's here different that McD's in stateside?

You've probably heard that in Germany you can get a beer at McDonalds.  This must have been the case at some point in history since I hear that all the time.  I have never seen it though.  I have seen beer on the menu in France--but not here.

We do have curry wurst though.  The classic German fast food treat:


and classic German breakfasts of rolls with jam, nutella and butter (I actually like this and get it on Mondays when I take Rio to McDonald's before school as a weekly treat):

Lately we have had limited time items with an "American" theme--which we think is pretty fun since McDonalds is already pretty much the epitome of American themed food, isn't it?  


Does the US McDonalds carry bagles with chicken on them or those nasty looking "golden corn nuggets  these days?  I'm gonna guess not.

So there you have it.  German McDonalds: fried pies, no beer and currywurst to go along with your Big Mac.

Here's hoping that whatever you eat for lunch today, you have a Happy Meal!

--Hadley





No comments:

Post a Comment