Friday, March 22, 2013

Old Town Paderborn

After lunch in Paderborn, I headed over to the old town area.  There are several parking areas on the outskirts of old town and 2 Euros buys you 2 1/2 hours--which is enough time to do a lot or exploring in this little town.

There is not much of the old wall left, just a few crumbling towers here are there.  This one was right by the parking lot:


Paderborn means the start of the Pader River.  The Pader, famous for being the shortest river in Germany, begins from springs downtown, so the easiest way to find my way in through the labyrinth (and back out to my car) was to follow the river:


The main attraction is the "Dom"--the towering hall church that you can see from well outside the downtown area.  Once up in old town though, the other buildings obscure your view.  The streets twist and turn every which way as well--leading to a surprisingly disorienting feeling.  But even somewhat "lost" there is a lot to see.  I think Paderborn had more churches per square meter than any other town I have ever been in (and many European towns are church heavy).  

I first came across this Prodestant church which must be fairly modern, based on the details (nearly all of Paderbon was bombed in WWII and rebuilt to look as it once did--I have no idea if the church was rebuilt and modern details added or if it is totally new to the area).  





I wandered back around spiraling deeper into town and found this fountain and just a bit further on the Rathaus:



Just around the corner from the Rathause was the Martkirche (market church).  This Jesuit church was built in the late 1600s and looks more like a Baroque palace than a house of worship.  The walls were even pink! It is hard t otell in the photos, but trust me on that one.








To the side of the church is a lavish building built in the same style.  Presumably it was one a royal residence of some sort.  I couldn't ind any information though.  What I did discover is that, much like the Schloss Neuhaus this lovely building now houses a public school:


Here is one of the many smaller churches in town.  One is supposed to have memorials to all the victims of WWII in it.  I didn't find it. I planned to go back to look the next day, but wimped out when the weather was cold, snowy and windy.  I had packed for chilly temps but not a full on return of winter.


I finally made it to the main attraction, the Paderborn Cathedral.  There are even other churches facing teh cathedral:



The cathedral truly is breathtaking.  I do have to say that I find the parking right around it, and that ugly modern museum near the main entrance to be disappointing distractions from the otherwise magnificent view.











The interior is lovely as well.  I particularly liked the stained glass behind the organ, a layout you do not see often, and intricate metal work "gates" in front of each little chapel area.  






and so ends the tour of Paderborn.  I hope you enjoyed it.
--Hadley





























2 comments:

  1. Will try just to see if I can still comment. Love the architecture photos! - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, you have the magic touch! Thanks for the comment--I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. It was a nice little town--I am surprised that i never heard of it prior to the trip.

    ReplyDelete